Elders have taught us that firearms are useful tools for hunting food. It's important we store firearms safely to avoid accidents or harm to people.
Recommended Ways to Help Prevent Incidents With Firearms
- Unload firearms. Store the firearm and ammunition separately: lock it up.
- Attach a secure locking device, like a trigger lock or cable lock, and remove the bolt if possiible.
- Lock firearms in a cabinet, container or room.
- Teach children that guns are not toys: never allow children to play with firearms.
- Take a Canadian firearms Safety Course
- Lock up gun cleaning supplies, which are often poisonous.
Contact local RCMP for more info about how to properly handle the store of firearms, or to get a locking device.