Regular physical activity benefits everyone at any age or fitness level. Some benefits of physical activity are:
- Reducing the risk of diseases
- Managing stress
- Strengthening bones and muscles
- Strengthening heart and lungs and improving blood circulation
- Improving mental health, mood, and sleep
- Improving digestion
- Improving posture and balance (and reducing the risk of falling)
- Increasing energy and the chance of living longer
- Helping with weight management
There are many different ways to be physically active. Nunavut has many great places to take part in fun, safe physical activity.
Here are some examples physical activity:
- Walking or riding a bike to school or work
- Going for a hike or skiing on the land
- Sliding, playing games or tag
- Going to the park or playground
- Fishing, picking berries, or clam digging
- Dogsledding or snowmobiling
- Kayaking or canoeing
- Carrying groceries home from the store
- Shovelling snow
- Cleaning the house, vacuuming, or dusting
- And many more!
If you have not exercised in a long time, be careful how you start. Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any questions.
Physical activity guidelines are different, depending on how old you are. Visit the Resource section see activity guidelines for different age groups.