Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can:
- Help to control your weight;
- Reduce your risk of many diseases, including diabetes and some cancers;
- Strengthen your bones and muscles;
- Improve your mental health and mood;
- Increase your chance of living longer;
- Reduce stress levels;.
- Increase energy;
- Improve sleep and digestion;
- Improve posture and balance;
- Increase your ability to perform daily tasks with more ease and less fatigue;
- Increase bone density;
- Improve circulation;
- Strengthen heart and lungs; and
- Improve your mood.
For most people, getting started is the hardest part of regular exercise. Everyone can benefit from regular physical activity, regardless of age or fitness level; but you may need to take some precautions. Talk to your healthcare provider before you start a new exercise program.
Have your say in a national physical activity strategy for Canada by going to a national survey at - http://activecanada2020.ca/home/active-canada-2020---english