It's easier to eat well if you plan ahead. Before you go to the store think about these things.
- Make a menu. Decide what you will make for lunch and dinner. When you have a plan, you will be less likely to spend money on fast food or convenience meals.
- Make a list. You won’t forget something if you have a list and it can stop you from buying something you are craving, like sugary drinks.
- Plan your meals around foods that are on sale. Check store flyers. Be sure to buy and plan for foods that you will actually use so that they don’t go to waste.
- Plan at least one meatless meal a week. Beans, eggs, peanut butter, and canned fish offer great tasting protein that is less expensive than fresh or frozen meat.
- Check what you have in your cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer. Buy foods to go with what you already have and don’t buy more than you need.
- Don’t go to the store hungry if you can help it. When we are hungry, we might buy what we crave and it might not be the best choice.
- Make extra. Plan to have leftovers. Make a roast and use the leftovers in soup or sandwiches.