Iron is especially important for mothers and babies.
- Iron is needed for healthy, strong blood.
- Iron is needed for baby’s brain to develop properly so they are able to learn and grow.
- When pregnant, mothers need to get enough iron so the baby can grow properly and have their own iron when they are born.
Some babies with low iron:
- Are tired
- Look pale
- Seem weak
- Are sick often
- Are poor eaters
- Grow slowly
How to get more iron - eat foods with lots of iron, such as:
- Country food meats like caribou, seal, walrus, muskox, clams and mussels
- Canned baked beans
- Breads and cereals
- Dark leafy greens (seaweed, spinach)
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding take a pre-natal vitamin with iron.