Cannabis is a plant that, when prepared and taken in certain ways, affects a person’s body and mind. There are many different types of cannabis and ways to prepare it.
Dried cannabis is made of the flower buds and leaves of the cannabis plant. It is sometimes called marijuana, pot, weed, or bud.
Hashish is made from the resin of the cannabis plant. It is a sticky substance that is dried and pressed into small blocks.
Hash Oil is a highly potent form of cannabis. It is processed so that it is very high in certain chemicals found in the cannabis plant. Some examples of hash oils are shatter and wax. These products generally have more health risks.
What are THC and CBD?
THC is the short form for the chemical in cannabis that makes you feel high. Its effects can be both therapeutic and harmful.
CBD is another chemical in cannabis. Unlike THC, CBD does not have mind-altering effects. CBD may even block or lower some of the effects of THC. This may occur when there is as much or more CBD in the cannabis as there is THC. Researchers are still studying CBD to see if it has any health benefits.
How is Cannabis Used?
People use cannabis in many different ways.
- Joints or spliffs (dried cannabis wrapped in paper)
- Pipes or bongs
- Blunts (hollowed out cigar wrappers filled with cannabis)
- Drinking or eating (also known as edibles)
- Baked goods
- Involves putting a cannabis product through a special device called a vaporizer and inhaling the vapour.
- Involves putting a cannabis product, such as hash oil, on a hot surface such as a nail and inhaling the vapour.
- Lotions, creams or oils (also known as topicals) that are put on to the skin.
To learn more about how cannabis is used, click here.